According to ASTM Standard F2089, Language Interpretation is defined as “the process of understanding and analyzing a spoken or signed message and re-expressing that message faithfully, accurately and objectively in another language, taking the cultural and social context into account.” At Barbier International, we not only adhere to this standard, but also supply our clients with professionally trained and certified interpreters who also uphold this standard. We can bridge any communication gap for any spoken language or industry.
We offer the following types and styles of interpreting:
- Simultaneous – the interpreter listens, analyzes, comprehends, and reproduces a speaker’s message – in real time – from the source language to the target language, with no pause by the speaker.
- Consecutive – the source language speaker pauses after speaking for brief periods of time, allowing the interpreter to relay the entire message before continuing with more information. The duration of this style is longer, because the interpreter does not speak while the speaker is speaking.
- Conference – when more than one language is being interpreted or there is a large audience out of range for the interpreter to be heard, this style of interpreting provides a solution. Using headsets, transmitters, and sound booths, the source speaker uses a frequency microphone to speak to the interpreter that is listening to this frequency using headsets. The interpreter then transmits the message through a different frequency microphone to the audience, who also are wearing headsets that coordinate with the interpreter’s frequency. This can happen in both simultaneous and consecutive interpretation sessions.
- Escort – a professional interpreter escorts a person or group to meetings or functions for specific business events or business trips. This is a service that we can arrange for most anywhere in the world.
- Telephonic – highly popular and easy to use, our interpreters consecutively interpret for both speakers over the phone using our client specific access codes. Each speaker pauses after delivering the message to the interpreter and allows wait time for the other party to do the same and avoiding any party talking over the interpreter while the message is being interpreted.
- Video Remote – an interpreter consecutively interprets for the both speakers over the computer, just as if in person. This type of interpreting allows for meetings in different countries to take place without travel.